Academic stress

I'm going to make the strong assumption that everyone, at some point in their lives, has experienced some form of academic stress, whether that be at school, college or university.
I've compiled a list of things that helps me deal with all the stress the university brings me, mostly for myself to refer back to since I am under no illusions that anybody reads this blog, but if you've happened to stumble upon my little corner of the internet, feel free to try out any of my tips and tricks.
Image result for stress



LISTS, LISTS, AND MORE LISTS.
This is an old trick I always turn to when I'm feeling overwhelmed. I often find that I have so much work to do that I don't know where to start, what  any of the work is actually asking for and when it's all due (turns out they're normally due within a very short time period, thanks uni). I make a year list, a term list, a module list. Name a list and I've probably made it.
My life already feels so much more together when I have a list set out in from of me telling me all the dates for when I need to have become an organised goddess and submitted all my work on time. (I normally still end up frantically writing at 3am the day before the deadline, but hey ho, at least I knew there was a deadline).
Better yet, there's always that euphoric feeling of when you reach your deadline and get to tick an item off your list.


TALK TO PEOPLE IN THE SAME BOAT (even if that boat is rapidly sinking)
This is one that I rarely do, but every time I do take my own advice on this I always come away feeling so much better.
I don't really have any friends on my course at uni so I'm often left feeling like I am the only one who has no bloody clue how to complete an assignment. However, if  you've been a uni student there will come a time when those two dreaded words are spoken...........
"group work"
I am the type of person wherein those two words turn my thoughts to how I can tell my family I have dropped out of university. However, over the three years that I have spent wincing at the sound of those words, I've come to realise that something good can come from being forced into working with strangers.
You find out that those strangers have as little clue about what is going on as you do.
So if you have the chance to talk to people on your course, mention that lecture that you didn't understand, ask about what the coursework means, see what they think will come up on the exams.
I find that even though I have to make an effort and force myself to talk, it always makes me feel so much better knowing that other people are thinking the same way as me, and more often than not, they are struggling with the exact same things as me.



TAKE A BREAK
There's only so long you can stare at a Microsoft Word document before nothing that's going to get you a good grade is going to come out of your brain. Even 20 minutes away from your desk (or bed, sofa, whatever your hideout of choice is) can make you come back to your work with a brand new perspective and considerably de-stressed mind. When i'm holed up at the library and feel myself losing the plot, I take a quick walk around campus, grab a soy latte or a smoothie and make my way back to my laptop feeling refreshed and ready to tackle another 1000 words.




LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE
One week after you gave in your last essay, hell even one day, were you still feeling stressed about it? The majority of the time, a few hours after I've submitted a piece of coursework I can't even remember why I was so stressed in the first place.
Whilst in the midst of writing an essay I always try to imagine how I'll be feeling a week after I've submitted it. When you're having a meltdown over an impossible piece of work it's hard to imagine that you'll ever get the essay completed.
But you will, and chances are you'll see it wasn't the world ending catastrophe you thought it was in that moment.
I try and picture myself a few days after the dreaded essay is done and dusted and tell myself that how I'm feeling is in no way permanent and there are worst things that can happen than me getting a bad grade in an essay (like my favourite takeaway place shutting down)




HAVE A NAP (my personal favourite)
There are two types of people in this world, those who enjoy naps and those who don't. I like to think that I'm a very accepting person but I just can't understand people who don't enjoy naps - but that's a whole other topic.
If you're in the camp that rejoices at the idea of a nap, then taking a quick doze in the middle of coursework writing session just might leave you feeling like a brand new person ready to write an A grade piece of work.
Just be sure to set an alarm, especially if you're still writing the day before deadline day.
Image result for nap







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February Reads (kind of)